I published features articles about health which came out of my work as a health writer at Columbia University.
Shining a Light on Hidden Medical Research Pacific Standard. 4-22-15.
- Gambling with America’s Health Pacific Standard. 9-15-14.
I have written about health for the websites of NYU Langone Health and Columbia University Medical Center.
- Reaching Black Men in Barbershops Helps Promote Colorectal Cancer Screening NYU Langone website. 7-27-17.
- Research Team Builds Ties to Reduce Diabetes for New York City’s Bangladeshi Community NYU Langone Health website. 1-7-17.
- The Powerful Influence of Celebrity Endorsements on Youth NYU Langone Health website. 11-3-16.
- Kids Consume Sugary Drinks with Combo Meals NYU Langone Health website. 10-14-16.
- When Medical Imaging Does More Harm Than Good & What to Tell the Patient NYU Langone Health website. 8-29-16.
- Mental Health Providers May Have Biases Columbia University Medical Center Newsroom. 3-17-14.
- A Tale of Vaccination in Two Cities. The 2x2 Project, Columbia Mailman School of Public Health. December 2013.
- When the Prescription Becomes the Problem Columbia University Medical Center Newsroom. 8-26-13.
- Bumps in the Road for Popular Pedestrian Program Columbia University Medical Center's Center for Injury Epidemiology and Prevention. 4-23-13.
I worked on script writing, conducting and arranging interviews, collecting assets, and project managing for videos about NYU Langone's Department of Population Health.
- What is Population Health? 1-21-16.
- How Do We Improve Health Equity and Urban Well-Being? 1-3-18.
- NYU Langone Population Health Convenes Annual Conference 1-12-16.
I wrote articles from 2015-18 for NYU Langone's internal website and newsletter, Inside Health, which goes out to 25,000+ employees.
- Scrap the Slide Deck, and Other Advice from TED Talk Veteran Doctor 1-26-18.
- Model Developed in India Offers Lessons on How to Make Healthcare More Sustainable 1-4-18.
- Doctor Elected to National Academy of Medicine 10-17-17.
- What the Future Holds: How Repeal of the Affordable Care Act Might Affect Vulnerable Patients 4-19-17.
- Department of Population Health Launches Tool to Help Create Healthier Cities 1-17-17.
- Health Beyond Healthcare Focus at Inaugural Population Health Conference 4-29-16.
- Carrot, Stick, or Prune Juice: Do Employee Wellness Programs Make Sense? 2-23-16.
- A Pioneering Partnership to Bring Fairness to Compassionate Use Requests 1-7-16.
- Retraction Watch's Ivan Oransky on Reigning in Academic Publishing's 'Wild West' 12-11-15.
- Coming Together to Address Health Disparities, at First Annual Conference 10-28-15
- Population Health Faculty Awarded NIH Early Independence Grant for Research on Food Marketing and Child Obesity 10-23-15.
- Global Health Professionals Get Ethics Boot Camp 8-4-15.
- Changing America's Eating Habits at the World Science Festival 6-2-15.
- Doctor Awarded Aspen Institute Fellowship to Expand Education Program for Low-Income Families 4-6-15.
I wrote releases for population health studies and initiatives at NYU Langone Health from 2015-18.
- Diabetes Management Greatly Improved in High-Risk Ethnic Population through Community-Based Program 1-31-18.
- 'Green' Cataract Surgery Model Drastically Reduces Environmental Footprint 12-6-17.
- Although Their Introductions as Treatment Are Different, Two Top Medications for Opioid Addiction Are Equally Effective 11-15-17
- Reaching Black Men in Barbershops Could Lead to Early Detection of Colorectal Cancer 7-25-17.
- Expansion of Successful Online Population Health Resource Will Give More U.S. Cities Access to Key Health Data 6-26-17.
- Music Stars Marketing Unhealthy Food & Beverage Products Majority of the Time 6-6-16.
- Opioid Relapse Rates Fall with Long-Term Use of Medication for Adults Involved in Criminal Justice System 3-30-16.
- Low-Cost Tool in the Fight Against Childhood Obesity: Water Dispensers in NYC Public Schools Associated with Student Weight Loss 1-19-16.
- Big Pharma Inconsistent with Disclosure of Information on Clinical Trials, New Study Finds 11-16-15.
- Popular Hypertension Drugs Linked to Worse Heart Health Outcomes in Hypertensive African Americans Compared to Whites 9-15-15.
- Amount of Time New Yorkers Spend Sitting Far Exceeds Healthy Levels 9-9-15.
- Certain Preoperative Tests Still Common in U.S. Despite Low Value & High Costs 6-8-15.
- Ethicists Propose Solution for U.S. Organ Shortage Crisis in JAMA 5-11-15.
- Parents Often Misperceive Their Obese Children As “About the Right Weight” 5-6-15.
I have blogged regularly for the Interdisciplinary Association of Population Science from 2017-18.
- To Tweet or Not to Tweet: Twitter for Academics 1-2-2018.
- Conference Panel: Urban Health Panelists Urge Collaboration 10-4-2017.
- Moving from Research to Action: A Report on the Health And…Racial Equity & Urban Well-Being Conference 9-18-2017.
- Bringing Population Health Into Medical Education 4-17-17
I launched, wrote for, and edited NYU Langone's Department of Population Health updated biweekly e-newsletter from 2015-18.
- Barbershop Colorectal Cancer Program Shows Success 9-5-17.
- Health And...Racial Equity and Urban Well-Being Conference 6-19-17.
- Ebola Crisis Shined Light on Inequity & Fear 2-27-18.
- New 9/11 Study Released, Faculty Member Works with Refugee Families 2-13-17.
- City Health Dashboard Empowers Urban Leaders to Examine Health of Their Citizens, Take Action 1-23-16.
From 2010-2015, I was an editor of Two by Two, the magazine of Columbia Mailman School of Public Health's Epidemiology Department.
- Programs to Improve Diets May Miss a Cultural Ingredient Spring 2015.
- Mental Health is the Wrong Target Annual Report 2014.
- ‘Big Push’ Global Health Initiatives are Popular, But Do They Work? Spring 2014.
- Bringing ‘Consequentialism’ Back to Epidemiology Spring 2014.
- Spin Doctors? The Media, the Science, and the Hyping of Research Results Spring 2013.
- The Public Health Crisis of Sexualized Violence Spring 2013
- Does Medical Marijuana Lead to Increased Use Among Teens? Winter 2012
Law & Business
I worked as a legal news reporter at Law360 from 2009-10 and have also written about business and finance for Finfaqs and the Federal Trade Commission.
- Young Ex-BigLaw Attorneys Succeed with Own Boutique Law360. 10-27-10.
- 'Squawk Box' Defendants Denied Bid For New Trial Forbes, via Law360. 7-26-10.
- Land O'Lakes Settles Egg Antitrust Action For $25M Forbes, via Law360. 7-8-10.
- All Eyes on J&J as FDA Tests Criminal Powers Law360. 6-9-10.
- Sotheby's Can Pursue CNet Founder's Assets Forbes, via Law360. 6-4-10.
- Report Urges Firms To Cut Hours, Pay Instead Of Jobs Law360. 10-22-09.
- Paying Your Restaurant Bill in the Next Tech-ade. FTC Tech-ade blog. 11-2-06
In 2009, I was an education reporting fellow for News 21, a multimedia journalism enterprise, based at Columbia School of Journalism and other U.S. journalism schools and supported by the Carnegie-Knight Initiative for the Future of Journalism, in which we covered "The Charter School Explosion."
- Uncertainties Around Charters' Special Education Role News 21. 7-30-09.
- Understanding Your Child's Special Education Rights News 21. 7-28-09.
- The Jay Mathews Band News 21. 6-23-09.
- First Group of Chicago Charter Schools Unionized News 21. 6-22-09.
- Comparing Charter and Public School Students News 21. 6-22-09.
- The Lesser Known Section of the Charter School Movement News 21. 6-22-09.
- A Charter School with a Special Mission News 21. 6-20-09
- An Unorthodox Choice School Stories Education Reporting in NYC, Columbia School of Journalism. 3-7--09.
New York City
I reported for local outlets around New York City, including those based at Columbia School of Journalism, when I was an MS student there from 2008-09.
- Muslims, Christians, Jews Talk Turkey at 7th Annual Interfaith Teach-in. Brooklyn Daily. 11-28-08
- Canvassers in Queens Work to Put Democrats Over the Edge. Red Ink, Columbia School of Journalism. 11-04-08.
- Ikea Shuttle Buses Don't Truck with Many Brooklyn Daily. 9-24-08
I volunteered as a "citizen journalist" -- back when that was the buzz phrase -- for Huffington Post during the 2008 presidential election.